War Memorial at the Church of St John the Baptist Ipswich

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470319
Date first listed:
05-Jun-2020
Statutory Address:
Ipswich St John War Memorial, Church of St John the Baptist, Cauldwell Hall Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 4QE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2021 at 10:45:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Ipswich St John War Memorial, Church of St John the Baptist, Cauldwell Hall Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4 4QE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Ipswich (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TM1823845026

Summary

A First World War memorial dating to around 1920, altered after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

The St John the Baptist War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

*     as a good example of a stone Celtic cross.

Historic interest:

*     as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Group value:

* with the Grade II-listed Church of St John the Baptist.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Ipswich as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 124 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial is prominently located in front of the east end of the Grade II-listed Church of St John the Baptist. Two rectangular stone plaques bearing the names of the 124 men of the parish who fell in the First World War are displayed on the east end of the church, directly behind the monument. The memorial was dedicated on 3 April 1921. Vicar Canon H W Hinde led the service and Sir John Ganzoni MP unveiled the monument. The cross was designed and built by Mr E E Saunders.

Details

A First World War memorial dating to around 1920, altered after the Second World War.

MATERIALS: the monument is made of Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is a 4.5m tall Celtic cross with an elongated shaft on a tapered four-sided plinth. The cross has a simple moulding around its edges and a central round boss. The plinth stands on two square steps. There is a square base beneath the steps. An inscription on the east side of the plinth reads: TO OUR MEN/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ LEST WE FORGET

A rectangular stone tablet has been added to the first step, leaning against the east face of the plinth. It bears the following inscription: ALSO/ THOSE WHO DIED/ IN THE SERVICE/ OF OTHERS/ 1939-1945

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museums War Memorials Register online, accessed 15 April 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8909
Ipswich War Memorial website, accessed 15 April 2020 from https://www.ipswichwarmemorial.co.uk/st-john-baptist-church-ipswich-ww1-memorial/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].