Edwardstone War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1470350
Date first listed:
06-Nov-2020
Statutory Address:
Edwardstone War Memorial, Sherbourne Street, Edwardstone, Suffolk, CO10 5PG

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1470350.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 15:09:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
Edwardstone War Memorial, Sherbourne Street, Edwardstone, Suffolk, CO10 5PG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Edwardstone
National Grid Reference:
TL9464942159

Summary

A First World War Memorial unveiled in 1920, with additions made after the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Edwardstone War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as an elegantly carved war memorial taking the form of a calvary cross, executed by the nationally renowned firm of architectural sculptors Farmer & Brindley Ltd.

Historic interest: * as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Edwardstone as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 14 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial was carved by Farmer and Brindley of London, engraved by F J Lindley and erected by Frederick Kingsbury. The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 March 1920 by Canon G Hodges, Archdeacon of Sudbury.

The names of the two parishioners who fell during the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

A First World War Memorial unveiled in 1920, with additions made after the Second World War.

MATERIALS AND PLAN: the memorial is octagonal on plan and is constructed from finely carved stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on a small triangular green to the east of the church of Edwardstone, at the north end of Sherbourne Street. The memorial is approximately 2.5m tall and takes the form of a calvary cross depicting Christ’s crucifiction beneath a stone gable decorated with carved rosettes. The cross has an octagonal footed shaft with a scroll bearing the letters ‘INRI’ set above the figure of Christ. There is a shield containing the Christogram, ‘IHS’ at his feet. The cross stands on a three-stepped octagonal plinth with a paved surround. It is enclosed by a hooped iron fence.

The main inscription is incised at the base of the cross shaft and on the north-west, west and south-west faces of the plinth. Cross shaft: IM/ OF/. Top step: EDWARDSTONE/ MEN WHO DIED/ FOR ENGLAND/ 1914 – 1919/ THEY LOVED/ NOT THEIR LIFE EVEN/ UNTO DEATH/. Middle step: (14 NAMES). Bottom step: ALL THANKS TO HIM/ WHO ON THE CROSS ON HIGH/ DIDST TEACH HIS BRETHREN AND INSPIRE/ TO SUFFER AND TO DIE/.

The additional inscription, 1939 – 1945, is carved on the north face of the upper step, with the two names of those who lost their lives in the Second World War given on the north face of the second step.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum War Memorials Register reference 4421, accessed 25 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4421
War Memorials Online database reference 118275, accessed 25 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/118275/
Other
‘Archdeacon dedicates war memorial’, The Suffolk and Essex Free Press, (16 March 1920).

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].