Luton Hoo War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471705
Date first listed:
23-Sep-2020
Statutory Address:
Luton Hoo Memorial Park, Tennyson Road, Luton, LU1 3RP

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471705.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2021 at 10:37:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Luton Hoo Memorial Park, Tennyson Road, Luton, LU1 3RP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Luton (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TL0922419921

Summary

A First World War memorial unveiled in 1922.

Reasons for Designation

The War Memorial at Luton Hoo Memorial Park is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest

* as a high-quality and dignified memorial.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Luton Hoo as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The memorial stands in the grounds of the former Luton Hoo Estate and Manor which was purchased by Sir Julius Wernher in 1903. On his death in 1912 the estate passed to his wife Lady Ludlow who presented the Park and the memorial to the people of Luton on the 12 June 1920 in memory of her son Alexander Picott Wernher who was killed in action in 1916. She unveiled the War Memorial to her son on 10 December 1922 and the site was officially named Luton Hoo Memorial Park.

In 2017 the war memorial was conserved with funding from War Memorials Trust Grants Scheme.

Details

A First World War memorial, dedicated in 1922.

MATERIALS: granite and bronze

DESCRIPTION: Luton Hoo War Memorial is located in Luton Hoo Memorial Park. It consists of a granite obelisk, rectangular on plan, which rises from a pedestal on a two-stepped base. The base of the obelisk has a carved frieze. The south-east face carries a bronze wreath underneath which is an incised inscription reading LUTON HOO MEMORIAL PARK/ THE SITE OF THIS PARK/ WAS PRESENTED TO/ THE BOROUGH OF LUTON/ BY/ LADY WERNHER/ LADY OF THE MANOR OF LUTON/ IN COMMEMORATION OF THE GREAT VICTORY/ OF THE ALLIES AND AS A/ MEMORIAL TO HER SON/ ALEXANDER PICOTT WERNHER/ 1ST WELSH GUARDS KILLED IN ACTION 1916/ AND TO ALL THE OTHER GALLANT MEN/ OF LUTON WHO GAVE THIER LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 TO 1918/ ERECTED 1922.

It stands within a circular grassed area enclosed by moulded granite kerbing.

Sources

Websites
Luton BC website, accessed 24 July 2020 from https://www.luton.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/parks_and_recreation/parks%20and%20open%20spaces/pages/history%20of%20the%20memorial%20park.aspx
War Memorials Online, accessed 24 July 2020 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/202308
War Memorials Trust, accessed 24 July 2020 from http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=1468
World War 1 Luton website, accessed 24 July 2020 from http://www.worldwar1luton.com/object/luton-hoo-memorial-park

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].