Ashmore War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471769
Date first listed:
04-Nov-2020
Statutory Address:
High Street, Ashmore, Salisbury, Dorset, SP5 5AE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2021 at 00:46:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
High Street, Ashmore, Salisbury, Dorset, SP5 5AE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ashmore
National Grid Reference:
ST9124417826

Summary

First World War memorial, erected 1923, with later addition for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Ashmore War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a thoughtfully-designed and simple memorial in the form of a Latin cross.

Group value:

* it stands close to a number of listed buildings, including Pond House (formerly South’s Farmhouse) and Glebe Farmhouse, which are both listed at Grade II.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Ashmore as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the five local men who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by E J Brett of Fletcher and Brett, a firm of architects and surveyors in Wimborne, and was made by C S Green of Blandford. It was unveiled on 10 August 1923 by Eliot Howard, owner of the Ashmore Estate.

Following the Second World War an inscription was added to commemorate a serviceman who died during that conflict.

Details

First World War memorial, erected 1923, with later addition for the Second World War.

DESCRIPTION

The memorial is prominently sited in the village, opposite the pond. It is carved from stone and consists of a tall, chamfered Latin cross, a plinth with chamfered top and base and a three-stepped octagonal base. The front face of the plinth has a stone panel that has the dedicatory inscription. This reads:

FOR GOD, KING, AND COUNTRY/ TO THE/ SACRED MEMORY/ OF THE ASHMORE MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR./ (NAMES)/ 1939 1945/ (NAME). The upper part of the inscription is flanked by 1914 and 1918.

The other three sides of the plinth have horizontal ashlar bands and flint.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES The war memorial is surrounded by low wooden posts and link chains.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, Ashmore Memorial Cross, accessed 30 July 2020 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/97774
War Memorials Register, Ashmore – WW1 and WW2 Cross, accessed 30 July 2020 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26408
Other
A Monument of Peace – The Unveiling of Ashmore War Memorial, The Western Gazette, Friday August 17 1923

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].