Granite drinking-trough outside Liskeard Railway Station

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1471873
Date first listed:
25-Nov-2020
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Station Road, Liskeard, Cornwall, PL14 4DX

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1471873.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 18:40:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Station Road, Liskeard, Cornwall, PL14 4DX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Liskeard
National Grid Reference:
SX2472763748

Summary

Horse drinking-trough, dated 1893.

Reasons for Designation

The granite drinking-trough outside Liskeard Railway Station, dated 1893, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * the trough is constructed of local granite and is intact, and its inscription noting its donation legible.

Historic interest: * for its donation by Mrs Mary Hermon, the wife of a local rector and benefactor, reflecting her love of animals; * drinking-troughs such as this are an eloquent reminder of the largely-vanished presence of animals from our streets, particularly where they are located in prominent public locations; * as a reflection of changes in the attitude towards animal welfare in the later C19.

Group value: * with the Grade II-listed Tavernan Carow Public House which was built as the railway hotel in 1859; * alongside other troughs in the town with the same inscription donated to the borough of Liskeard in 1893, and which are listed Grade II.

History

In the C19 provision began to be made in towns for drinking facilities for cattle, horses and dogs. Granite troughs were usually presented by charitable associations or by individuals as sentimental tokens. An inscription was usually present to record the donation, and the troughs placed in convenient public locations, such as squares and near churches.

The borough of Liskeard was presented with three granite drinking-troughs in 1893 by Mrs Mary Hermon (1854-1926), the wife of the Reverend George Hermon (1852-1911). Reverend Hermon was the curate and later (1896-1900) vicar of St Neot and a local benefactor (he had donated an iron mission church to the hamlet of Draynes in 1887; and also paid for the Church Institute in St Neot in 1896). The Hermons lived at Doublebois House (Grade II listed), and built other buildings in the Liskeard area.

Liskeard railway station was opened in 1859 as part of the Cornwall Railway, with the main station building located on the road above a deep cutting containing the two platforms and railway lines. The 1907 Ordnance Survey map (1:2500) shows that the granite trough was originally located on the west corner of the crossroads by the station; at some point (after 1978) it was moved to the south corner of that junction directly outside the station building.

The other two drinking troughs donated by Mrs Hermon are located outside the Church of St Martin and on the Parade; both are listed Grade II.

Details

Horse drinking-trough, dated 1893.

Dressed-granite rectangular trough with curved corners, with sump, on a granite-block base. It is inscribed on the north face in lead lettering PRESENTED TO THE BOROUGH BY A LOVER OF ANIMALS / 1893.

Sources

Websites
Heritage Gateway: Cornwall & Scilly Historic Environment Record: Liskeard Railway Station: , accessed 07/08/2020 from https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MCO50179&resourceID=1020
Other
Ordnance Survey, Cornwall (1907) (1:2500)

Ordnance Survey, Cornwall (1978) (1:2500)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].