Gate Piers and Lateral Piers opposite entrance drive to Shapwick Manor

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1473954
Date first listed:
16-Feb-2021
Statutory Address:
Shapwick Manor, Station Road, Shapwick, Bridgwater, TA7 9NJ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1473954.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2021 at 18:10:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Shapwick Manor, Station Road, Shapwick, Bridgwater, TA7 9NJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Shapwick
National Grid Reference:
ST4181238429

Summary

Gate piers and lateral piers of the late C18 or early C19 associated with Shapwick Manor.

Reasons for Designation

The gate piers and lateral piers opposite the entrance drive to Shapwick Manor which date from the late C18 or early C19 are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural quality: * they are well-made and the accomplished design is well-suited to their setting opposite the entrance to Shapwick Manor.

Group value: * they form a strong and attractive grouping with the Grade-II listed gate piers and boundary walls opposite, and also group well with Shapwick Manor (Grade II*), its stables (Grade II) and the dovecote (Grade II).

History

The village of Shapwick formerly belonged to Glastonbury Abbey, and the rectoral income from the parish church was assigned to the abbey’s almoner. The almoner's estate was one of two estates in Shapwick and following the Dissolution it was leased by John Berkeley. In the early C17 it was conveyed to William Bull, a wealthy linen merchant, who is said to have been responsible for the construction of the present house, although the building does appear to have earlier origins. At the end of that century it came into the possession of the Strangways family who, over the centuries, enlarged and altered the house. They owned the property until 1944 when it was sold to Lord Vestey. By 1923 the house was known as Down House, but was later renamed Shapwick Manor. A school was established there in the 1970s and it closed in 2020.

The gate piers on the opposite side of the road from Shapwick Manor date probably from the late C18 or early C19 and are stylistically similar to those situated at the principal entrance to the house. A map of 1764 depicts the fields to the north-east and south-east of the gate piers as Horse Park and Gracy respectively, though part of this land has been used as a playing field in more recent times.

The metal railings that originally ran between the gateway and the lateral piers do not survive.

Details

Gate piers and lateral piers of the late C18 or early C19 associated with Shapwick Manor.

DESCRIPTION A pair of ashlar gate piers with chamfered angles and moulded apex caps, and also two lateral piers, also of ashlar and in a similar style, with cushioned caps. Concrete gate posts have been added between the original gate piers to narrow the gateway; there is no longer a gate.

Sources

Websites
Shapwick in A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 8, the Poldens and the Levels, ed. Robert Dunning, 2004, pp. 160-179. British History Online , accessed 5 January 2021 from https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/som/vol8/pp160-179

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].