Tree-Ring Analysis of Timbers from Middleton Hall, Middleton, Warwickshire

Author(s): Alison Arnold, Robert Howard

Analysis of samples from 104 oak and 11 pine timbers from Middleton Hall produced six site chronologies. The first, MIDHSQ01 (26 samples, 126 rings), spans AD 1593 to AD 1718. The second, MIDHSQ02 (26 samples, 257 rings) spans AD 1390 to AD 1646. Site chronologies MIDHSQ03 and MIDHSQ04 comprise six and two samples, of 78 and 84 rings, spanning AD 1636 - 1713, and AD 1579 - 1662, respectively. Two pine chronologies cannot currently be dated. The earliest material, original timbers of the 'North-east building', was felled AD 1530 - 55, at the time of John Willoughby . This building was later re-roofed using timber felled AD 1711 - 36 (at the time of Sir Thomas Willoughby), along with re-used timber felled AD 1677 to AD 1702. The next phase, the 'Tudor barn', is assigned to Sir Percival Willoughby, using timber felled in AD 1591. This is followed by work on the 'de Freville building'. Although there are re-used earlier timbers here, others indicate a felling date of AD 1646. Such work at this time would have been undertaken by Sir Francis Willoughby II. Evidence for the latest work is found in the Entry Hall, Main House range, and southern service range. The felling of timber here is spread over AD 1708 - 18. Such work is attributable to Sir Thomas Willoughby. There is no evidence of any thirteenth- or fourteenth cenury material belonging to an early stone hall or an oratory.

Report Number:
Research Department Reports
Dendrochronology Standing Building


If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:

Customer Service Department

Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Email: [email protected]