Tearing Ledge, Western Rocks, Isles of Scilly Conservation Statement and Management Plan
Author(s): Kevin Camidge, Charles Johns
Tearing Ledge is a rock pinnacle, south-east of the Bishop Rock lighthouse in the Western Rocks, Isles of Scilly. The wreck lies within some of the most spectacular submarine topography in the British Isles. Originally identified as the Romney, the wreck is now believed to be the Eagle. Both of these were lost in the same night on the 22nd October 1707 when Sir Cloudesley Shovell’s fleet, returning from the Mediterranean, foundered on the Western Rocks. The Eagle was a 70-gun third-rate, initially built at Portsmouth in 1679 and then rebuilt at Chatham in 1699. The Protected Wreck site (List entry 1000063) lies within the Isles of Scilly Special Area of Conservation and the Bishop to Crim Marine Conservation Zone, part of the Isles of Scilly Marine Conservation Zone. This Conservation Statement and Management Plan was produced to enable local and regional stakeholder involvement in our aspirations for the conservation management of the Tearing Ledge Protected Wreck site, so as to balance protection with economic and social needs. The principle aim of the Plan is to identify a shared vision of how the values and features of Tearing Ledge can be conserved, maintained and enhanced.
- Report Number:
- Research Report
- Maritime Protected Wreck