Stable Building, Audley End House, Saffron Walden, Essex
Author(s): P Smith
This report was commissioned by Andrew Hann, Senior Properties Historian, Research & Standards, Properties Presentation. This report aims to provide a detailed picture of the surviving Stable Building at Audley End and a detailed history of its architectural development. This report is divided into three sections; first, an Introduction, which provides a brief history of Audley End House, a general overview of the Stable Building and a list of the Documents and Sources used in its compilation; second, a a section entitled Fabric Analysis, which gives a detailed description of the surviving building, and third, a section entitled Historical Analysis, which gives a chronological history of the architectural development of the building, using the evidence of the surviving fabric and the known historical documents. This report traces the history of the Stable Building, form its construction, c. 1610 for Thomas Howard, 1st Earl of Suffolk, through its brief ownership by the crown in the late 17th century, and then through its continued usage as a country house stable for the Howards, the Countess of Portsmouth and the Lords Braybrooke, until it was acquired by the Ministry of Public Buildings & Works in 1948, and then passed into the care of English Heritage in 1984. This report is fully illustrated with copies of the relevant historical documents and new photographs of the building taken by English Heritage photographer Pat Payne.
- Report Number:
- Research Department Reports