The Museum Room, Audley End House, Essex

Author(s): Claire Martin, Jonathan Millward

The Museum Room at Audley End House, Essex, was founded by the 4th Lord Braybrooke in the middle of the nineteenth century. After recent wall paper stripping its walls were graphically and photographically recorded. The report documents this work and also considers the accuracy of a watercolour painting c.1855 of the museum room and the potential to use this image as a guide for the restoration of the room. The survey confirmed the positioning of a number of fixtures and artefacts shown in the water colour, elsewhere the survey was able to suggest the position for items not visible in the picture. Unfortunately, in some areas sections of the original plaster have been lost, in this instance the watercolour might be used as a guide to the location artefacts.

Report Number:
79/2007
Series:
Research Department Reports
Pages:
50
Keywords:
Building Recording Modern

Accessibility

If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:

Customer Service Department

Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Email: [email protected]

Research