How YOU Can Provide the Missing Pieces
Find out how your pupils can contribute to the National Heritage List for England by uploading photographs of local listed buildings.
Did you know 99% of England's population lives within one mile of a listed building or place?
Listing is how Historic England protects the most important parts of our heritage. We'd like to encourage everyone to find out more about their local heritage, take photographs and upload them to our website. Every snapshot and story added is an important piece of the picture, and the more pieces of the picture we have, the better we can work together to protect what makes these places special.
This easy step by step guide will show you everything you need: from finding out more about Listing to suggestions for how to make this part of your Local Study work. You can even get a certificate for your class to show that they've contributed to the Missing Pieces Project.
Learning aims and outcomes
- Learn about the connections between local, regional and national heritage
- Learn about historical concepts such as continuity and change and significance
- Present information showing knowledge and an appreciation of their local heritage
- Contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
- Use local heritage to enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
No prior knowledge is required. The step by step guide provides all of the information pupils will need.