Church of St John, Royal Lane, Hillingdon - Hillingdon

C13 chancel arch and C14 nave and aisles. Tower rebuilt in 1629. In 1848 Sir G Gilbert Scott refurbished the building and added transepts and chancel. Constructed in flint with freestone dressings and tiled roofs. The tower is surmounted by a wooden cupola which is in poor condition with decay, splits and unsympathetic past repairs. The introduction of temporary propping is proposed. The clay tiles are beginning to fail allowing the ingress of rainwater. Valley gutters are poor and have been patched and rainwater goods are also in need of attention. The flint walling has some loss of pointing.

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JOHN
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1080160
    Local Planning Authority:
    Hillingdon
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St John
    Street Name:
    Royal Lane
    Locality:
    Uxbridge
    County:
    Greater London
    District / Borough:
    Hillingdon
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Uxbridge and South Ruislip
    Region:
    London and South East

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Tracey Craig 020 7973 3756