This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1080160



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hillingdon

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202953

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


804/23/386 ROYAL LANE 08-MAY-50 HILLINGDON (East side) Church of St John


Parish Church. C13 chancel arch, (only remaining part of earlier chancel) nave and aisles C14, West tower rebuilt in 1629, the building refurbished and transepts and chancel added by Sir G G Scott 1847-8, North east vestry of 1964 by H Norman Haines. Cruciform church with aisles, transepts and west tower. Coursed flint with freestone dressings and tiled roofs. Tower of 1629 in 4 stages with battlements and octagonal wooden cupola with bell and weathervane. Mainly traceried windows. INTERIOR: C13 chancel arch with stiffleaf capitals on short stalks. Three bay C14 nave and aisles with octagonal piers with capitals and arch mouldings. North aisle roof C15 with main timbers supported by corbels with stone busts. Many monuments including large brass to Lord Strange 1509, monument with figures to Sir Edward Carr 1657, and splendid reclining figure to Henry Pagett Earl of Uxbridge 1743. C19 marble pulpit.

[ BOE "London 3: North West" pp 334-5.]

Listing NGR: TQ0691482916

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 06914 82916


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 08:20:59.

End of official listing