Church of St Mary, Bitterley - Shropshire (UA)

This late C13 church consists of a nave, chancel and west tower. It was restored by Thomas Nicholson between 1880 and 1888 who added the south side timber porch, the timber framed top stage to the tower and its short broad shingled spire. All of the roofs, cast iron rainwater goods and spire coverings are failing and require renewal. The surface water drainage system is largely ineffective and needs to be replaced. Limited high level masonry repairs are also required.

Church of St Mary, Bitterley - Shropshire (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1383652
    Local Planning Authority:
    Shropshire (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Unitary Authority:
    Shropshire (UA)
    Parish:
    Bitterley
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Ludlow
    Region:
    Midlands

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*