Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1383652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 18:33:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 57081 77314



SO57NE Church of St Mary 482-1/6/74 12/11/54


Church. C12 and C13 with C17 alterations, restored 1876 and 1880. Stone rubble and coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressing. Plain-tile roof with ashlar-coped gable. PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel with C19 pointed arched east window of 4 lights. North wall with 2 lancets, one blocked, flanking paired cusped-lancet window with trefoil. South wall with restored pointed arched window of 3 cusped lancets and labelmould, priest's door with shouldered stone slab lintel and plain chamfered jambs, single buttress with offsets. Nave: south wall with 2 restored Decorated-style pointed arched windows, 3 cusped lancets with labelmould and head-stop to right, 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil to left, buttresses with offsets and gablets. Restored north wall mirrors south wall, with additional octagonal stone chimney shaft set on one buttress. Late C19 timber-framed south porch set on stone plinth with arch-braced truss opening. C19 south door within restored C13 pointed arched opening with roll and fillet moulding. Tower: 3 stage tower. Lower 2 stages of coursed rubble walls with ashlar dressings on ashlar plinth with roll moulding and short clasping buttresses. Single lancet on each face at lower stage and C19 paired lancets at middle stage. Top stage is a late C19 timber-framed belfry with short broach spire. INTERIOR: chancel roof truss is restored crown-post with swept braces to principals with carved pierced quatrefoils and carved straight tie beam. c1924 rood screen in C15 style supporting rood loft. Loft with original mullions and traceried panels supporting beam enriched by additional deep perforated trailing ornament and cresting. Nave: C19 trussed rafter roof. C17 pulpit. C12 font with shallow round-arched arcade carving with foliage above. Restored tower arch of 2 orders with original filleted shafts. Abaci mainly restored but with vestiges of stiff-leaf capital decoration. 3 C15 bells. Monuments in chancel. Wall tablet with effigy of Timothye Lucye d.1616: kneeling figure set between 2 columns under corniced canopy with armorial tablet over. 10 Walcot family tablets, some armorial, of early C18 to C20 and 8 Pardoe tablets of same dates. 5 Walcot slab memorials from 1685 to 1812 and others including memorial to Anna Lydall d.1680. Monuments in nave: Pardoe tablet 1768, 3 tablets to Powys of Henley, 1668, 1671, and 1731 all armorial with embellishments. Under tower, armorial Powys tablet of 1645. (An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire: Cranage D H S: 1895-).

Listing NGR: SO5708177311


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14792/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].