George Claridge Druce (1860-1948) was an antiquarian and amateur photographer - not to be confused with George Claridge Druce (1850-1932) the botanist and Mayor of Oxford by the same name. He was a member of the Kent Archaeological Society from 1909, Secretary from 1925-1935 and Vice President until his death in 1948. He was also a member of the Royal Archaeological Institute (1903-48) and of the British Archaeological Association, serving as Vice President between 1938-48. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (F.S.A.) in 1912 and served on its Council from 1923 to 1926.
Druce was a keen amateur photographer, travelling extensively on his bicycle photographing church architecture and was an authority on the influence of bestiaries on ecclesiastical sculpture and wood carving. In 1947 he donated his collection to the Courtauld Institute and ultimately to the National Buildings Record.
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Druce, George Claridge
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.