An interior view of the east end of the Lady Chapel in York Minster, also known as St Peter's Cathedral Church

Date:
1942
Location:
York Minster, Minster Yard, York
Show all locations
St Peter's Cathedral Church, Minster Yard, York
Reference:
AA42/04738

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Against the east wall, under the east window, are a series of monuments flanking the central altar and the canopied tripartite scuplture. An effigy with inscription above on the left is dedicated to Archbishop Frewen (d. 1664), and the smaller wall-hung memorial to its right is dedicated to Frances Matthew (d. 1629). It has a kneeling, praying figure under a fabric canopy. To the right of the altar is a large monument to Archbishop Sharp (d. 1714), which has a partially reclining figure with an inscription on carved drapery behind him.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Medieval Cathedral, Stuart Commemorative Monument, Stuart Commemorative Monument, Georgian Commemorative Monument