An interior view of York Minster, also known as St Peter's Cathedral Church, showing the south end of the south transept

Date:
1942
Location:
York Minster, Minster Yard, York
Show all locations
St Peter's Cathedral Church, Minster Yard, York
Reference:
AA42/04772
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The south transept was restored by G.E. Street in 1871 and the roof rebuilt between 1984 and 1988. It has a large double door in the centre, flanked by four niches with pointed arches. Above the niches is a string band and a pair of windows on each side. Above the door is an arcade of six blind arches with trefoil heads and painted columns. Above is a triple lancet window and a rose window which dates to the early 16th century. To the right is an arcade with tall wrought iron gates underneath.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Transept, Window, Arcade, Gate, Medieval Cathedral