An interior view of the Chapter House in York Minster, also known as St Peter's Cathedral Church

Date:
1942
Location:
York Minster, Minster Yard, York
Show all locations
St Peter's Cathedral Church, Minster Yard, York
Reference:
AA42/04821
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Chapter House was built between 1275 and 1290, and is situated north of the cathedral's choir. It is connected to the north-east corner of the north transept by an L-shaped vestibule. The Chapter House has eight sides, seven of which have large five light windows with stained glass. Under the windows the walls are surrounded by niche seats under octagonal canopies. The back piers are Purbeck marble, and the capitals have foliate carvings. The stops on the canopies have carved heads, and at the top of the gables are foliate carving.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapter House, Window, Medieval Cathedral