An interior view of the south end of the Chapel of Nine Altars, showing the south-west corner with a free-standing cross in the foreground

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Chapel Of The Nine Altars, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05717
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral church was originally part of a Benedictine Priory and refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

In the south-west corner of the chapel is a large door in the south wall with a blind trefoil-headed arch to the left. On the west wall is a smaller portal.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Blind Arcade, Chapel, Medieval Cathedral, Uncertain Cross