An exterior view of the north-west corner of the Chapel of Nine Altars seen from the west, most likely from the north transept

Date:
July 1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Chapel Of The Nine Altars, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05741
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded as a cathedral in 1541. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The Chapel of Nine Altars is situated at the east end of the cathedral, and extends to the north and south. At the north-west and south-west corners are polygonal stair turrets with blind arcading near the top.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Turret, Medieval Cathedral, Medieval Chapel