A detailed view of the east arch in the galilee's central aisle, showing the junction of the east wall and chapel arcade

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Show all locations
Durham Cathedral, Galilee Chapel, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/06001
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded in 1541 as a cathedral. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The galilee is situated west of the west towers, and was built for Bishop le Puiset in 1189. It has four bays west-to-east and five aisles. The central aisle's east arch has four orders with carved zig-zags, whilst the arcades have round-headed arches with dog-tooth mouldings. Under the east arch is a painted triptych and altar. Behind is the main body of the cathedral.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Arcade, Galilee, Lady Chapel, Medieval Cathedral