A detailed view of the tower arch at the west end of St Oswald's Church nave

Date:
1942
Location:
St Oswalds Church, Church Street, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/06072
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The parish church originates to the 12th century, although it is likely to be on the site of an earlier church, and was rebuilt in 1834 by Ignatius Bonomi. It has a west tower, an aisled nave of five bays, and a three bay chancel. The church suffred an arson attack in 1984, and the west end of the nave was restructured, with an organ gallery with choir stalls added in front of the tower. The font was also moved from underneath the tower.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Arch, Nave, Tower, Medieval Parish Church, Hanoverian Parish Church