A detail of a misericord in Holy Trinity Church depicting two chained and muzzled bears, supporting a ragged staff between them, with a chained ape as a supporter on the right and the stall's carved armrest featuring a female figure

Date:
1930-1949
Location:
Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-Upon-Avon, Old Town, Stratford-On-Avon, Warwickshire
Reference:
AA49/09034
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Holy Trinity Church has 28 misericords dating from the 15th century. Described by Pevsner as "most entertaining even if no great shakes as sculpture" they depict human figures, mythical beasts, and foliate motifs. This misericord, on the south side of the chancel, depicts two chained and muzzled bears either side of a ragged staff, which they support. This forms part of the coat of arms of Warwick. The right supporter, visible in this photograph, is a chained ape providing a urine specimen in a flask. The left supporter, not featured in this photograph, is a chained ape examining the contents of a flask.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Church, Medieval Collegiate Church, Post Medieval Collegiate Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, Religion