A view of the east window of St Leonard's Church, with 15th century stained glass depicting St Bernard, the Annunciation, the Fountain of Life, the Two Spies, and Jacob

Date:
1930-1955
Location:
St Leonard's Church, Trudoxhill, Marston Bigot, Mendip, Somerset
Reference:
AA55/02842
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

St Leonard's Church was built in 1789 and altered in 1844. The stained glass in the east window includes panels depicting a scene from the early life of St Bernard, the Annunciation, the Fountain of Life, the Two Spies, and Jacob preparing to appear before Essau. Other panels show a prophet and roundels. The panel depicting St Bernard dates from the 15th century and originates from the abbey of Altenburg near Cologne, Germany. The origins of the other panels are not known, but may also be from Cologne.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Stained Glass, Window, Post Medieval Church, Religion