The stone font in St Mary's Church, with an octagonal bowl supported on a cluster of shafts with foliate capitals

Date:
1958
Location:
St Mary's Church, Church Lane, Stow, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire
Reference:
AA58/03439
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The font has been dated to the 13th or 15th century. Each side of the bowl is carved with a different design, including a flower head, a serpent, a Green Man, and a Star of David. Notably none of these are Christian motifs. The bowl is supported on a cluster of shafts with foliate capitals. The base has a carved foliage design in the north-east and south-east corners, and a dragon stretching between the north-west and south-west corners.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Font, Religion