The ruins of the converted Grey Friars Hall.

12 Mar 1931
Greyfriars, City Of Bristol
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


The photographer’s notes state: ‘Grey Friars. Just higher up th same roadway as Buther & Co's store buildings (see a.27), and after a turn to the left on the same side. The ruins in the foreground are what are left of a former Franciscan (Grey Friars) hall on the right. It was cut up into two dwellings and had a floor put in. The two nearer boarded up openings were the entrances to the dwellings, and the one just beyond a window. Before these two dwellings were destroyed about 10 years before this date, the tops of two medieval traceried windows were still in situ high up. The steps go up northwestwards to Blackfriars, a little street roughly parallel to and N.west of Lewin's Mead.'


This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection


© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills