A photograph of the frontispiece in a sales catalogue showing Frognal House and its grounds from the south-east

Date:
1915
Location:
Frognal House, Frognal Avenue, Sidcup, Bexley, Greater London Authority
Reference:
BB71/08713
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Description

This photograph of the image is believed to have been taken c1920-1950.

The photographer's notes state: 'Copy. The house. Southeast front. Illustration "The Mansion". Frontispiece in a large catalogue of the "Sydney Collection at Frognal, Chislehurst, Kent", issued by Messrs Knight, Frank, & Rutley on the occasion of the sale at the above on June 7th 1915'.

Frognal House was a large country house that has once been the seat of the Viscounts Sydney. In 1915 it was sold to government and its contents auctioned off. Two years later, in 1917, it became the site of the new Queen Mary’s Hospital, a centre for pioneering plastic surgery.

Content

This is part of the Series: PEW01/01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection, Negatives; within the Collection: PEW01 Phillip Edmund Wills Street Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills

Keywords

Post Medieval Country House

Back
to top