The blocked Tudor doorway in the store room of Oak Cottage on Crockenhill Road
- 12 Jul 1938
- Photograph (Negative)
The photographer's notes state: 'Easterly dwelling. Store room in N.E. angle. Former Tudor doorway in the west wall, into the former Great Hall. The underside of the old staircase can just be seen on the right'.
The building was originally a 17th century, timber framed Wealden house but the ground floor has since been rebuilt in brick. By the 20th century it had been divided into two cottages. The cottages are now named 1 Kevington Cottages (on the west side of the building) and Oak Cottage (on the east). It is unclear, however, whether the two cottages had been named as such at the time the photograph was taken, or whether that happened later.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Street, Philip Edmund Wills
Tudor, Doorway, Post Medieval Wealden House, Post Medieval House