This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST BREWARD CHURCHTOWN, St Breward SX 07 NE 5/192 Church of St Brueredus 17.12.62 GV I
Parish Church. Dedicated to St Brueredus. Norman origins, with later work associated with William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter, 1224-1245. Dedicated in 1278. Restored 1863- 64 by J P St Aubyn. Granite ashlar south porch and south aisle. Stone rubble north wall and ashlar north transept with straight joint possibly suggesting a widening to the north. Stone rubble east wall to chancel with a distinct batter. Granite ashlar west tower.
Plan: Norman church possibly of cruciform plan with 6-bay north aisle, the probably Norman piers extant. Partly altered by William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter. 1224-1245 when the fenestration was altered. 5-bay south aisle added in C15, possibly contemporary with south porch and west tower. Restored in 1864 by J P Aubyn when the north aisle was partly rebuilt (Maclean).
Exterior: Unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, strings and battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. Recessed west door with 2-centred arched opening with carved heads forming stops. Renewed C19 Perpendicular west window. 3-light belfry openings with slate fenestration. North aisle has circa C13 2- light windows with cusped heads with circa C13 window to north transept. Chancel window replaced by J P Aubyn. Complete circa C15 Perpendicular tracery to south aisle. South porch with 2-centred arched entrance with sundial above dated and signed 1792 T Symons.
Interior: C19 arch braced roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle and original circa C15 waggon roof to south aisle. 6-bay north arcade with 5 restored Norman piers of varying size and design in granite and Caen stone. 5-bay south arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers and engaged western pier with multiple moulded shaft.
Font constructed of Norman fragments with square base, round shaft and unusual shaped font bowl. Originally had cluster of 4 shafts around central shaft. Remains of circa C15 carved bench ends. Remains of circa C15 rood loft or parclose screen forming parclose screen between chancel and north aisle and part also reused at west end of north aisle. Painted Royal Coat of Arms, 1700WR.
Memorials include remains of slate tombchest of Christian Rogers, 1609 with two kneeling figures in relief: William Billing of Lanke, 1654 (of Higher Lank Farmhouse): John Adams, 1609. The interior of St Breward Church was illustrated by Thomas Rowlandson (1756-1827) in a cartoon of Dr Syntax in Search of the Picturesque Rowlandson based his cartoon figure on Rev Ralph Baron and stayed at Hengar (in St Tudy parish) on his visits between 1780 and 1812. Copies of the drawings are displayed in the church, the original is in the British Museum.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1875 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd Edition 1970 Polsue, J Lakes Parochial History of The County of Cornwall 1867, reprinted 1974.
Notes and guide in Church.
Listing NGR: SX0973077351
© Mr John A. Busbridge. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Busbridge, John A.
Rights Holder: Busbridge, John A.
Ashlar, Granite, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.