This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NORTH CURRY CP CHURCH ROAD (West side) ST3125
10/42 No 8 (Gwyon House) -
House, now old people's home. 1858. For Cuthbert R Morris. Rendered to imitate stucco, pilaster quoins, modillion bracket cornice, shallow pitched hipped slate roof. L-plan, entrance on east front, verandah to garden front south, service wing to west. Italian villa style. East front: 2 storeys plus attic, 2:3 bays; divided by pilaster strip, semi-circular headed sash dormer windows in square surrounds, one left, 3 right, first floor left 2 similar sashes, resting on string course, right below string course 3 square headed 12-pane sash windows with keystones, ground floor 2 semi-circular headed sash windows flanking central Ham stone pilaster doorcase, dentil moulded cornice, fanlight, double doors with arched head panelling. Garden front of 2 paired semi-circular headed sashes with continuous entablature and string course set above 5-bay decorative cast iron verandah, fronting pair of French windows with marginal glazing bars flanked by blind semi-circular headed niches. A cosmopolitain adventure in the brick vernacular of North Curry, built for a local estate agent. (Illustrated in Escott, Somerset: Historical, Descriptive, 1908).
Listing NGR: ST3192225470
Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Humphreys, Mick
Rights Holder: Humphreys, Mick
Cast Iron, Render, Slate, Victorian Service Wing, Domestic, House, Monument <By Form>, Dwelling, Nursing Home, Health And Welfare, Residential Building