This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NORTH CURRY CP QUEEN SQUARE (Centre) ST3125
10/67 The Queen's Jubilee Memorial
Memorial to Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. 1897. By Edmund Buckle, Diocesan Architect, built by Mr C Trask of Stoke-sub-Hamdon. Ham stone on blue lias steps. Triangular in plan. Three arched openings with Dutch gables above on parapet, and small gables with lead waterspouts in the angles, topped by spire. Dutch gables carved with the Star of India, the royal coat of arms and St George and the Dragon, while small gables have a thistle, a rose and a shamrock; each corner pilaster inscribed, though somewhat eroded, 'Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria completed the 60th year of her reign on June 20th, 1897. This monument was placed here by the loyal and grateful people of North Curry".
The ribs of the vault carry latin inscriptions. The whole stands upon 2 steps, with block stones irregular placed; the original railings are missing. Forms important focus to the square which was renamed in Queen Victoria's honour. The whole cost 250. (Olivey, North Curry: Ancient Manor and Hundred, 1901).
Listing NGR: ST3191825279
Copyright IoE Mr Mick Humphreys. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Humphreys, Mick
Rights Holder: Humphreys, Mick
Ham Hill Stone, Lias, Victorian Commemorative Monument, Commemorative