This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NZ 2463 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAYTON STREET WEST (south side)
22/185 Presbytery attached to Cathedral of St. Mary
R.C. presbytery. Circa 1860 by E.W. Pugin; additions 1869 by A.M. Dunn. Brick with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Irregular plan with right wing breaking forward through 45. Tudor style. 2 storeys, 3 bays; lower 2-storey 3-bay link to Cathedral vestry at left. Main block has one-storey canted porch, with central door in Tudor-arched surround, and stone surrounds to windows in angles.
Gabled bay at left with one window on each floor, and square stair turret with lancets under parapet at right. Lancet and 7-light windows above porch. Wing breaking forward has front chimney stack with offsets, flanked by arched stone windows. Steeply-pitched roofs, hipped to main block and link, have tall polygonal chimneys with ashlar strings and cornices.
Listing NGR: NZ2446763876
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Priests House, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Roman Catholic Cathedral, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Cathedral, Place Of Worship