Claydon Hall

Date:
8 Sep 1999
Location:
Claydon Hall, Hall Lane, Claydon, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk
Reference:
IOE01/00213/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CLAYDON HALL LANE TM 14 NW 7/100 Claydon Hall 9.12.55 - II House, formerly manor house. Mid C14 core with major alterations of early C17 and later. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed and plastered, partly encased in C19 painted brick; the early C17 parlour wing at left has some C18 herringbone pargetting. Plaintiled roofs; the parlour wing has an oversailing gable tie-beam and bargeboards, both billet-carved, with moulded pendant finials. An axial C17 chimney of red brick, of cross-quadrate form and another plain C17 chimney to right. Mainly mid C19 small-pane sashes. Glazed mid C19 6-panelled entrance door, recessed between Tuscan columns supporting a moulded cornice. The centre range of the house has a mid C14 crown-post roof of two 2.5 metre bays, with evidence for a 3rd. Two open trusses have octagonal crown-posts with scroll-moulded capitals, and straight braces originally on 4 sides. A closed truss has a corresponding semi-octagonal crownpost, and on what was originally the external gable is a section of early or original weather-boarding (a rare feature on a mediaeval building of this status). Little is left below roof level of C14 work, but there is some evidence that the upper floor is original. The smoke-blackening at roof level therefore implies the existence of an upper room with an open hearth. Cross- wings were added at either end of this range in the early C17, and staircase and garderobe-towers to the rear. To right is a short C18 service range and to left a C18 single-storey range in painted brick. The house stands within an incomplete homestead moat of C14 or earlier. The manor was held in the mid C14 by William de Cleydon (ante 1327) and by his son John (d.1350). The site is reputed to have formerly been occupied by a castle (East Anglian Miscallany, No.5632).

Listing NGR: TM1418249522

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Curtis_B.A. IOE Records for Curtis, B.A.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Curtis, B.A.

Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.

Keywords

Brick, Pargeting, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Medieval Manor House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, Service Wing, Moat, Water Supply And Drainage