This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CLAYDON CHURCH LANE TM 14 NW 7/98 The Old Rectory 9.12.55 - II Company headquarters, formerly rectory. Mid C16 with major alterations of several periods. 2 storeys. C16 parlour wing to right, and service range, (probably C18), to left. The central hall range was rebuilt c.1930. Pre-C20 work is timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roofs with axial and external chimneys of red brick. Mainly early C19 sash windows with small panes. The garden elevation of the cross-wing has two C18 sash windows with segmental heads; in the centre of this wing is a small 2-storeyed gabled projection, perhaps C16, and probably a staircase wing. In the cross-wing are moulded 1st and attic floor joists and good close-studwork; the attic floor was inserted c.1600. The rebuilt hall range is of rendered masonry with limestone windows and entrance doorway in the Elizabethan manner; the 1st floor is partly constructed of reused C16 moulded floor joists as in the parlour. The Revd.
George Drury (1819-1895) was the central figure in a national scandal, involving a burial at the adjoining parish of Akenham, while he was the Incumbent here.
Listing NGR: TM1373049845
Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Curtis, B.A.
Rights Holder: Curtis, B.A.
Brick, Plaster, Render, Stone, Timber, Medieval Hall House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan House, Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Vicarage, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, Commercial Office, Commercial