This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE 1.
5407 A House SU 1868 5/313
II GV 2.
1845-50. Architect Edward Blore. Red brick. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys.
Continuous ashlar sill bands. 6 ranges of sashes with glazing bars in brick "Gibbs" surrounds. 2 Italianate towers with modillioned cornices and arched lights taking flues. Long and short brick quoins. Elaborate wooden oriels in mid-C17 manner, added by Edwin H Crocker in the 1880's.
Like B House, it is remarkable for being so early an example of the revival of C17 forms: like B House also its towers are the most conspicuous reminder of its real date. Unlike B House it has a much shallower pitched roof, no modillioned cornice, and no dormers, and their absence is also more typical of the 1840's than the other features. Interior: both houses have remarkable central, top-lit halls, lined by galleries with absolutely plain arcading filled in by iron railings.
C House, B House, The Museum Block, The Arcade, The Bradleian Buildings, The North Block, the Porter's Lodge, gates and railings, the Chapel, and A House form a group.
Listing NGR: SU1838068726
Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Mack. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mack, Hilary
Rights Holder: Mack, Hilary
Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Victorian Public School, Education, Private School, School