This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MALPAS C.P. CHURCH STREET SJ 44 NE (North Side) 2/26 No.2 Market Place (formerly listed as The Old Market Place) 22/4/1958 GV II Two shops with living accommodation, converted to a restaurant. Late C17 and early C18, of brick with grey slate roofs. 3 storeys with 5 windows to 2nd storey, 4 to 3rd storey. Altered recessed lower storey behind colonnade of 8 Tuscan pillars of red sandstone. The 2nd and 3rd storeys are flush, with a coped gable to front at each end. The ground floor has 2 replaced doors, 2 12-pane flush sashes of late Georgian type and a canted bay window with 8-pane replaced central sash and 8-pane replaced fixed lights to each side. The 1st floor has C19 replaced casements, one of 6 panes at centre and 2 of 9 panes to each side. The 2nd floor has 2 casements under each gable, those to left gable of 2 panes, those to right of 4. Cyma kneelers.
Rectangular chimney with 6 flues on ridge of each cross-gable roof.
Interior. The lower storey is considerably altered in plan, with doors and other features moved; one inglenook bressumer. In the upper storeys much brick-on-edge nogged oak small framing is intact; a number of 2 and 4-panel oak doors circa 1700 and 2 mid C19 6-panel softwood doors. Staircase altered.
Listing NGR: SJ4869347203
© Mr Geraint Wyn Jones. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Jones, Geraint Wyn
Rights Holder: Jones, Geraint Wyn
Brick, Oak, Sandstone, Slate, Stuart Timber Framed House, Georgian Monument (By Form), Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Shop, Commercial, Restaurant, Eating And Drinking Establishment
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.