Bridewell House, (On South Corner Of Little Lane) / The Old Bridewell / The Waggon And Horses

Date:
31 May 2002
Location:
Bridewell House, (On South Corner Of Little Lane), Wyddial Road, Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9 9AX
Show all locations
The Old Bridewell, Wyddial Road, Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9 9AX
The Waggon And Horses, Wyddial Road, Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9 9AX
Reference:
IOE01/07384/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD WYDDIAL ROAD (west side)

7/86 Bridewell House, (on S corner of Little 19.10.57 Lane) (formerly listed as The Old GV II Bridewell)

House. Said to be built in 1491, the Waggon & Horses Inn before 1700, used as bridewell up to 1843, then as 2 cottages.

Renovated 1939, W extension 1950, later S garage wing. Timber frame on stuccoed sill, plastered with panelled pargetting.

Steep tiled roof. A 2-storeys, 4 windows long house facing E, with central chimney and lobby entry a third from S end, and a smaller central chimney serving the narrow N bay. Flush casement windows of horizontal proportions with large windows on Ground floor. Pointed head to battened door. Chimneyhead has 2 stumpy shafts. Interior has brick open fireplace.

Listing NGR: TL3629229725

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0871 IOE Records taken by A Gude; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr A. Gude. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Gude, A.

Rights Holder: Gude, A.

Keywords

Plaster, Stucco, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Prison, Civil, Legal Site, Inn, Commercial, Residential Building