This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRETFORTON CP - SP 0844 - SP 0944
13/21 Bretforton Grange
30.7.59 GV II*
Shown on OS map as Grange Farm.
Monastic grange, now house. Early C14, remodelled and extended 1635, with some late C20 alterations. Coursed lias rubble with ashlar dressings, Cotswold stone and tile roof. C14 range aligned north/south, subsidiary (service) range extending west from southern corner has stacks at both ends; C17 wing projects to south from latter range with central stack. East front: C14 range to right of two storeys with gable-lit attic, stone coped verges and stepped buttresses. External staircase of C20 to right-hand side; to left; two 3-light C17 stone mullioned windows. C17 wing set back to left with stair turret in angle, two storeys high, 2-light window to first floor; entrance to right has a C20 stone gabled porch. To left-hand corner an entrance (now window) with triangular head, and a square label, the stops of which bear the inscription "WC 1635". Interior: C17 staircase with massive turned balusters and moulded handrail. Roof of C14 range is of common rafter construction, each couple having an arch-braced collar and vertical ashlar pieces. Ground floor of this range is an early C14 undercroft divided into four bays by simple chamfered ribs. (Bond, C J: "The Estates of Evesham Abbey: a preliminary survey of their medieval topography", Vale of Evesham Historical Society Research Papers, Vol 4, 1973, pp 10-11; VCH, 2, pp 359-360; BoE, p 100).
Listing NGR: SP0863044176
© Mr Peter Harnwell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harnwell, Peter
Rights Holder: Harnwell, Peter
Ashlar, Lias, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Grange, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Religious House, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling