Church Of St Andrew
- 17 Sep 2002
- Church Of St Andrew, Church Road, Tostock, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 96 SE TOSTOCK CHURCH ROAD
5/159 Church of St Andrew 15.11.54
Parish church, medieval, restored 1872 by J. Sedding. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flushed flint and limestone rubble with inclusions of red brick, mainly in an approximate chequerboard pattern: this is probably C19 work. Dressings of freestone. Parapet gables. Slated nave roof, plaintiled chancel roof. In the south wall of the chancel is some coursed flint rubble walling, perhaps of C12. Late C13 chancel arch with clustered shafts and moulded capitals. Early C14 east window and plain south doorway. Late C14 and C15 square-headed windows. Late C14 tower with traceried belfry windows and flushwork traceried buttresses. Labelled west doorway: the spandrels are traceried with shields. 2-light window above. Porch added c.1400 to late C14 doorway. Shafted outer doorway with small niche above, side windows with unusual tracery, coupled rafter roof with moulded cornice. Major remodelling of nave in mid C15: large 3-light side windows. Interior: nave roof in 4 subdivided bays: double-hammerbeam trusses. The lower section of each truss has long beams and tenoned posts, out of the lower section of which is carved a niche in which is a standing figure. The spandrels are traceried. Carved archbraces. Moulded and archbraced upper collars and kingposts. The intermediate trusses have only long archbraces up to the collars, but at the foot of the principal rafter there is unusual foliate carving. A plain C14 niche beside chancel arch. C15 roodloft stairs and doorways in south nave wall and a small niche. A small late C14 piscina, ogee-headed, in the chancel. Good mid C14 font: the octagonal limestone bowl has varied foliate carving on each face, and the stem is reeded. Two sets of 12 benches: the 8 western-most on each side are C15 work with some restoration, and the remainder were added in C19. The seat backs are traceried and brattished, the ends have poppyheads, and a wide variety of creatures sit upon the buttresses.
Late C17 altar rails with turned balusters. Two C18 slabs in the chancel floor.
Listing NGR: TL9605163627
Copyright IoE Mr Roger Eburne. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Eburne, Roger
Rights Holder: Eburne, Roger
Brick, Flint, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Font, Piscina, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative