This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL (North Side)
6/53 Old Chapel House (Formerly listed as 22.2.55 The Cedars)
House. C16 origins, C18 alterations, refronting of 1818 and C20 extension to left.
Timber-framed, rendered, partly cased in painted brick. White brick front. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys, 3-bay front with C20 extension of one bay recessed at left.
Angle pilasters. Off-centre 6-panel door in pilastered doorcase with panelled reveals and soffit. Radial fanlight with keyed elliptical archivolt. 12-pane sashes in reveals, painted sills, cambered cement arches. Narrow 8-pane sash to right of door. Parapet. Roof hipped at front. Corniced ridge stacks. C20 extension to left return with flush 12-pane sashes. Interior: entrance hall with chamfered beam and exposed joists, dragon beam at left indicates former jetty.
Room to right of door shows beam and joists with hollow chamfers and pyramid stops, kitchen to rear, chamfered beam, exposed joists, studded walls, one with reused moulded joists. Moulded beams to drawing room which also has early C19 features including Adam style fireplace and door architrave. 6-panel doors. Staircase, treads replaced, closed-string, fluted column-on-twist balusters. Fluted square newels with turned and fluted newels to first floor. Arched string above stair at first floor level. Moulded ramped handrail. Panelled dado with fluted pilasters follows line of stair. First floor: bathroom with inscribed date 1776. Beams with deep roll mouldings separated by hollow chamfers. Small section linenfold panelling. Bedroom to right shows studded wall, moulded front wall plate and section of moulded cambered tie beam.
East Bergholt Society, Looking at East Bergholt 1981. Text by J Elam.
Listing NGR: TM0715734485