Roman Catholic Church Of St Mary
- 6 Mar 2002
- Roman Catholic Church Of St Mary, Alcester Road, Studley, Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire, B80 7NN
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STUDLEY ALCESTER ROAD SP06SE (East side) 4/190 Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary
Roman Catholic Church. 1853. Designed by Joseph Hansom. Regular coursed lias with moulded limestone cornice and dressings. Old tile roofs with moulded stone coped gables and kneelers. Nave, chancel and south porch. Gothic Revival style.
4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. 2-storey porch has angle buttresses flush with front wall. Arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould. 2-light window above. Moulded south doorway inside has hood mould with head stops and plank door. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and 2 buttresses to north side, 3-light east window. All other windows of 2 lights. Plate tracery with quatrefoils throughout. Nave has buttresses and diagonal buttresses. North side has protecting gabled north-west bay. 2-light window with transom and shouldered lower lights. West front has trim 2-light windows with hood moulds, and lancets below. Central buttress against canted sides of stair turret. Gable has moulded trefoil window. Bellcote with altered top; bell removed. On south side is a single storey link to the Presbytery. 2 small casements. Interior: chancel has piscina recess, with shelf in place of basin. Painted and stencilled panelled wagon roof. Richly carved Decorated style stone altar with arched niches, statues and ogee canopies. 2 carved reliefs. Carved stone altar. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders without imposts. Hood mould with foliage stops. Elaborate image niche to each side with richly carved ogee canopies and angel corbels, with statues, of the Virgin and Child to left and St. Joseph to right. Nave has panelled west gallery. Late C20 glazed screens below. Arched scissor braced roof, supported on painted colonnettes and corbels. Small side chapel below gallery. Shouldered doorway to stair turret with winder stairs. Fittings: altar of 4 Early English style stone shafts. Original pews. Stained glassy East window 1860 by Hardman. Forms part of a group with attached Presbytery (q.v).
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.423).
Listing NGR: SP0743163469
Copyright IoE Mr Harry Lomax. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Lomax, Harry
Rights Holder: Lomax, Harry
Lias, Limestone, Tile, Victorian Roman Catholic Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship