Church Of St John The Evangelist
- 15 Apr 2003
- Church Of St John The Evangelist, St Johns Road, Stansted Mountfitchet, Uttlesford, Essex
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STANSTED MOUNTFITCHET ST JOHNS ROAD 1.
5222 (east side) Church of St John the Evangelist TL 5125 46/928 9.1.76
Large red brick building with stone dressings built in 1889 to the design by the architect W. D. Carbe. An early example of his work. The west tower was added in 1895 and is in his later style. The nave, transepts and chancel are in the perpendicular style. The west tower with its embattled and pinnacled parapet, carved gargoyles and figures is a free interpretation of the Gothic style. The interior has exposed brick and stone quatrefoil pillars and an unusual balcony at the west end.
Listing NGR: TL5127625019
Copyright IoE Dr Tony Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Phillips, Tony
Rights Holder: Phillips, Tony
Brick, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship