Church Of St Andrew
- 21 Mar 2003
- Church Of St Andrew, Stoke Dry, Rutland
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STOKE DRY SP 89 NE 4/142 10.11.55 Church of St Andrew.
Parish church. Early C12 in origin, much rebuilt C13-early C14 with C15 clerestory windows and N porch. Restored 1898. Coursed ironstone rubble, Collyweston slate roofs to chancel and chapel, lead roofs to remainder. Narrow W tower, nave, aisles, N and S porches, S chapel, and chancel. W tower has lancet with restored hoodmould in W wall, small slit window, and bell-chamber of 1694 with large 2-light traceried openings, quatrefoil frieze and battlements. Nave has C15 clerestory with 3 bays of cusped 2-light windows with flat heads.
Similar windows to N aisle, the left with Tudor hoodmould, the right part blocked by stair to N porch. N door has early C14 moulded arch, and fine 2-storey porch of late C15 date, with parapet, missing finials, small angle buttesses, and 4-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders with hoodmould. Inner order rests on half-shafts with embattled capitals. Above arch is an oriel window with cusped lights and embattled parapet. S aisle has one arched window with 3 untraceried lights, and 2 tall altered windows with Cl6-C17 moulded mullions and flat heads, that to W end with Tudor hoodmould. S door in moulded arch. S porch heavily rebuilt C20. S chapel has moulded string raised over moulded S door with steep 2-centred arch, C13 2-light window with geometric tracery, and fine 3-light E window with Decorated tracery. Tall 3-light E window of chancel is similar but with different tracery. Altered window of 3-lights with flat head and moulded mullions in N wall of chancel.
Interior: high 2-centred arch to tower, of 2 chamfered orders on carved head corbels. 3-bay nave arcades, that to S of late C12-early C13 date, with double-chamfered arches on circular piers. Moulded capitals, 3 with narrow band of nailhead. N arcade is late C13-C14, with quatrefoil piers. Above arcades are traces of C16 wall-paintings with texts and heraldic cartouches of the 12 tribes of Israel. Nave roof is C15, restored, with moulded beams and carved brackets to ridge. S aisle has moulded cambered tie-beams; N aisle re-roofed. 4-centred doorway to porch stairs. Double chamfered chancel arch, each jamb with early C12 shafts, richly carved with beasts, winged figures and foliage. Left shaft has similar capital; right shaft includes figure of a man ringing a bell. Early C12 string with saw-tooth moulding in N wall of chancel. Chancel also has aumbry, blocked arch in SE corner, ogee window to chapel and C14 wall-paintings of St Andrew and the Madonna enthroned on E wall. Chapel has arch to S aisle partly blocked by low wall, 4-centred door to chancel, and late C13 wall paintings of St Christopher and St Edmund on S wall. Chapel roof is of 1574 with arch-braced collars.
Fittings: fine C15 screen complete with rood canopy on nave side; C16 bench-ends with poppyheads, one bench with moulded back-rail; wooden trestle for carrying coffins, inscribed "Iob Swayen fecit 1694"; disused stone font; fragments of old glass in E window; C19 pulpit and font; stained glass of 1904.
Monuments: alabaster tomb chest in chancel with recumbent effigies of Kenelm Digby, d.1590, and wife Anne, with mourners and corner balusters; monument in S chapel to Everard Digby c.1540, with mutilated effigy of knight on chest with blind tracery panels, shields and corner balusters, a shallow wall recess behind with 4-centred arch, finials and balusters; slab in S aisle with incised figure of Jacqueta Digby, 1496, disfigured by graffiti.
Listing NGR: SP8555296768
Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Wise, Keith
Rights Holder: Wise, Keith
Ironstone, Lead, Lincolnshire Limestone, Rubble, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Graffiti, Unassigned, Decorative Surface, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Effigy