This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 37 37 LECKFORD LECKFORD LANE A3057
14/6 Church of St Nicholas 29.5.57 GV II*
Parish church. C13 core largely rebuilt C16, restored C19 and early C20.
Flint with stone dressings and much brick repair, mostly rendered, old plain tile roof. Plan of nave with chancel set off centre to S, with S wall continuous, and in NE early C20 organ chamber in outshot, W bellcote. E end of chancel has plinth, C18 diagonal-set brick buttresses and C16 squareheaded 3-light cinquefoiled window. On NE door to outshot, on S high plinth and to W of centre reset C13 2-centred 2-order doorway, above C16 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. C18 buttress at SE of nave with 2 C17 headstones built in.
In centre C19 gabled carved timber porch on brick plinth and inside C15 2-centred door of 2 continuously moulded orders. Buttress to E and at W end and each side C16 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. N wall of nave has diagonal E buttress, buttress in centre and W end, and near each end C16 squareheaded 2-light windows with hood-moulds. W of centre C13 2-centred door blocked with brick. W end has 2 tall buttresses and C15 2-light window.
On roof at W square weatherboarded bellcote, 3 louvred openings on each face, with flat roof. Inside chancel C16 slightly hollow chamfered rear arches.
In SE is an image corbel. Medieval altar stone on C20 stone columns, with small continental reredos, installed C20. Reset C17 altar rails with turned balusters, and moulded rails. On N and S walls C16 Italian stalls, 7 each side, back panels having fluted Doric pilasters and frieze of cherubs heads, installed C20 with copies of altar rails in front. In SW reading desk incorporating parts of C15 screen. King post roof. C16 chancel arch of 2 continuously moulded orders of ogee and hollow chamfer. In N respond is narrow trefoiled niche and to N on E nave wall a larger similar niche, perhaps over an additional altar, due to unusual plan. Windows except W have moulded 4-centre rear arches on shafts. In SE C17 pulpit with tester over having finials and hanging arches. W bay has 2 large posts to bellcote. In centre C13 square Purbeck font with blind arcading, on large column on moulded base.
Along sides C16 pews, rest C19. Floor slabs: 1707 to John Smith, 1787 to Henry King. On N wall memorial 1630 to Sir John Thornburgh and on W wall monument 1827 to Henry King. Plastered Cl6 roof with tiebeams. C16 and C17 bells. VCH; 1911; Vol 4 p448-9.
Listing NGR: SU3730137592