Church Of St Giles / Wenlock Road

Date:
17 Jun 2002
Location:
Church Of St Giles, Wenlock Road, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury And Atcham, Shropshire, SY2 6JJ
Show all locations
Wenlock Road, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury And Atcham, Shropshire, SY2 6JJ
Reference:
IOE01/07680/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SHREWSBURY

SJ51SW WENLOCK ROAD 653-1/5/691 (East side) 10/01/53 Church of St Giles

GV II*

Church. Foundation and some surviving structure of C12, extended successively thereafter, and extensively restored by Samuel Pountney Smith in 1860-63. Coursed and squared sandstone, with plain tiled roof. PLAN: nave with north aisle and chapel, chancel. EXTERIOR: western bellcote on gable, carried by central buttress pierced and flanked by lancet windows. South wall possibly largely C12, coursed and squared sandstone, raised later. Simple roll-moulded doorway in timber porch added in restoration. Trefoiled and plate traceried windows of 1 and 2 lights, inserted in restoration. Organ loft and chancel are additions of c1860. 4-light chancel east window in Decorated style. Single-storey polygonal vestry added 1893 by Lloyd Oswell. 2- and 3-light Decorated windows to north aisle, and 4-light west window. INTERIOR: nave arcade of four and a half bays, possibly C14, but restored. Cylindrical shafts carrying chamfered and roll-moulded arches with foliate respond to the east. Heavy timber roof structure, possibly C15, with curved principals and collar over tie beam. C19 chancel arch with marble shafts with stiff leaf capitals springing high from corbels. Keeled panelled chancel ceiling. North aisle largely c1860, with wide arch to eastern chapel, a C15 arch partially concealed behind a later one leading to chancel. FITTINGS: C12 font, with chevron base and primitive figures in an arcade round the basin. Other fittings largely date from restoration. STAINED GLASS by Kempe in west window, and chancel east and south windows. East window dated 1902, south window of 1931. West window of aisle has stained glass by David Evans. Flemish glass resited in north aisle chapel window. The church was established as a leper hospital chapel c1154-62, and incorporates the remains of this original building. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1858-).

Listing NGR: SJ5072911845

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Taylor_Derek IOE Records for Taylor, Derek; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Derek Taylor. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Taylor, Derek

Rights Holder: Taylor, Derek

Keywords

Sandstone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Chapel, Hospital, Health And Welfare