This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
OVINGTON CHURCH STREET TF 90 SW
1/56 Church of St. John Evangelist
Parish Church. C12 remodelled c.1300 restored 1867. Rubblestone with ashlar quoins and white pantiles. West tower and continuous nave and chancel. Square tower with 2-light west window and belfry windows over flushwork panels with shields. Single lancet to ringing chamber at north. Staircase turret to south.
Hipped slate roof. South door C12. Single order shafts with incised scalloped capitals and roll moulded arch with billet. Triangular stoup to right. Nave south windows varied : square headed 2-light with hood mould, Norman round headed, pointed lancet and 2-light Y tracery. Chancel with Y tracery: 2-light to south, 3-light to east, 2-light to north. North nave 2 2-light lozenge windows flank 3-light Perpendicular under 4-centred arch and C19 hood mould.
One blocked lancet and blocked north door. Boxed eaves. Interior with low C14 tower arch with wave mouldings. Continuous moulded wall plates with billet, raised at sanctuary. Wall posts to principals on braces. Secondary rafters and single moulded butt purlins. Plastered arched ceiling. Low piscina in chancel. C14 octagonal font on shafted plinth with carved angels and encircled quatrefoils.
Listing NGR: TF9254402594
© Mr Peter C. Bewes. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bewes, Peter C.
Rights Holder: Bewes, Peter C.
Ashlar, Pantile, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship