Home Farmhouse / New Farmhouse

Date:
15 Jun 2002
Location:
Home Farmhouse, Wansford Road, Thornhaugh, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE8 6NH
Show all locations
New Farmhouse, Wansford Road, Thornhaugh, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, PE8 6NH
Reference:
IOE01/07737/08
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

In the entry for: 5141 THORNHAUGH WANSFORD ROAD TF 00 SW 8/618 New Farmhouse II The item shall be amended to read:

5141 THORNHAUGH WANSFORD ROAD (north side) TF 00 SW 8/618 Home Farmhouse (formerly listed as II GV New Farmhouse) The description shall be amended to read:

House formerly a farmhouse. Mid C18 with C19 alterations and additions c.1911.

Coursed limestone with ashlar and moulded stone dressings. Collyweston stone slated roofs hipped to west and south. Parapet gables,ashlar end stack and two ridge stacks. Moulded stone cornice. Two storeys with attics and service basement at ground floor level to rear. Original house of five bays with addition wing of three bays forming L-plan. Gabled entrance porch dated 1863 with imposts to round headed arched doorway; four ground floor and five first floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows with plain architraves and raised keystones. Plain band between floors; ashlar quoins. Three hipped dormer windows with casements.Two storey addition to west gable of one bay with mullioned windows at each floor level.

Interior: C18 staircase to attic and basement floors, revised moulded ceiling beams; C19 doors. The farmhouse was rebuilt by the Duke of Bedford on the site of the former hunting lodge of the 1st Lord Russell Baron of Thornhaugh and is illustrated in a drawing dated July 1721.

------------------------------------

1.

5141 THORNHAUGH WANSFORD ROAD New Farmhouse TF 00 SW 8/618 II 2.

C18 house with C12 wing forming L-shaped plan. Coursed stone. Collyweston stone roof with coped gable ends. Ashlar end stacks. Moulded eaves cornice.

Plain stone band at floor level. Two storeys and attic. Five bays. Sashes with glazing bars in plain stone architraves with keyblocks. Central stone porch with date 1863 in gable. Three small hipped dormers with moulded cornices.

At south-west end a lower 2 storey one bay wing with hipped Collyweston stone roof with moulded stone mullion windows.

Wing on east end built in 1911 in Georgian style, 2 storeys, 3 bays.

Listing NGR: TF0485600452

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Walker_Richard S. IOE Records for Walker, Richard S.; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Richard S. Walker. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Walker, Richard S.

Rights Holder: Walker, Richard S.

Keywords

Lincolnshire Limestone, Stone, Georgian Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Monument <By Form>, Hunting Lodge, Recreational, Hunting Site