Church Of St Mary
- 20 Jun 2002
- Church Of St Mary, Charlynch Hill, Spaxton, Sedgemoor, Somerset
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST23NW SPAXTON CP CHARLYNCH HILL (East side) CHARLYNCH
2/140 Church of St. Mary (Formerly listed in Charlynch Civil Parish) 29.3.63
Anglican Parish Church; now deconsecrated. C11, C13, C15; tower probably of 1867; restored 1887. Rubble, coped verges, slate roofs. Nave with south porch and transeptal south chapel, chancel with vestry and organ chamber, west tower.
Three stage tower with octagonal stair turret, diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet, bell-chamber windows. Nave with late Norman south doorway, gabled porch; a 2-light square-headed Decorated window to left and projecting transept chapel with 3-light square-headed window to right. The chancel also has a 2-light Decorated window on south side and a reticulated east window. Interior plastered; C15 moulded plaster ceiling; Norman responds to C13 chancel arch; traces of rood stair; C15 stained glass in east window of transept; Norman font; transept railings Laudian and previously the altar rails. Numerous marble memorials of C17-C19. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST2384437806
Copyright IoE Mr Terry Abbiss. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Abbiss, Terry
Rights Holder: Abbiss, Terry
Rubble, Slate, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Anglican Church