This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BECKLEY AND STOWOOD B4027 SP51SE (North side) Stowood 2/8 Royal Oak Farmhouse and 03/11/80 attached stables (Formerly listed as Royal Oak Farmhouse and attached barn)
Farmhouse. Early/mid C17, extended C18. Limestone rubble with squared quoins and timber lintels; thatched roof with brick ridge stacks. 2-unit lobby-entry plan, extended. 2 storeys. 4-window front incorporates original front, with entrance to right of centre and flanking 3-light casements at ground and first floors.
Single-bay addition, to right, has 3-light casements, and a further ridge stack; 2-unit stable extension, to left, has one inserted casement and a loft door in the gable wall. Half-hipped roof. Rear is irregular with an outshut to the stable and a small rubble and tiled wing. Datestone on gable of stable inscribed "1813/WC". Interior: Large open fireplace with chamfered and stopped bressumer and moulded stone jambs; massive central stack with flanking winder stair rising from lobby. Formerly the Royal Oak Inn.
Listing NGR: SP5626710210
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0165 IOE Records taken by Sean Bergin; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Sean Bergin. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bergin, Sean
Rights Holder: Bergin, Sean
Limestone, Rubble, Thatch, Tile, Tudor Farmhouse, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart Agricultural Dwelling, Jacobean Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Stable, Animal Shed, Transport, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Inn, Commercial, Residential Building